Fertility RecipeHave you ever heard of a nutrient called choline? Not really? Well, it is an important nutrient in your preconception diet. Studies shown that choline can help reducing birth defects caused by genetic mutation. It also helps the development of nervous system, hence very important to the preconception and pregnancy diet.
Egg yolks contain the most choline in our daily diet. Cauliflower has the highest amount of choline amongst vegetables.
How about a classic British Cauliflower Cheese as your side dish for dinner tonight?
Classic Cauliflower Cheese
- Cauliflower 1 (trimmed and cut)
- milk 500g
- plain flour 4 tablespoon
- unsalted butter 40-50g
- cheddar cheese (grated)
- breadcrumbs (a handful but optional)
- Cook cauliflower in boiled water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7.
- Whisk flour in milk, make sure there's no lumps left.
- Place pan back on low to medium heat, add milk mixture and butter. Keep whisking as the butter melts as mixture comes to boil. Whisk for 1-2 minutes while mixture bubbles and thicken.
- Turn off the heat, add 2/3 of the cheese and stir well.
- Add cauliflower and sprinkle the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs if desired.
- Bake the dish in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or till golden.