Make your own Chicken BrothI've included chicken broth in quite a few of my recipes, it only feels right to make your own chicken broth if we are aiming for healthy and natural diet. Who knows what have been put into those canned chicken broth and the excessive amount of sodium that comes with the package. The following recipe is enough to make three pints of chicken broth.
Tips: You can easily replace chicken with left over turkey and it's shell after Thanksgiving and Christmas to make a Turkey Broth. Which is just as good and nutritious!!
- 1 large chicken including giblets (cut into 4 quarters)
- 2.25 liters of water
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 leeks (white part only, sliced)
- 1 large parsnip (peel and chopped)
- parsley (small amount)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 ml tomato puree
- salt and pepper (seasoning)
- Wash chicken and giblets. Place it in a large pan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil slowly and remove any scum from the surface with a large spoon.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours.
- You may remove flesh from the bones after 2 hours. Set aside for use in other recipes. Return all the bones back to pan for more simmering.
- After cooking, turn off heat.
- Let it cool over night in room temperature or in fridge.
- You will find a layer of fat set on the surface the next day, remove it and stock your broth in zipper bags or plastic containers to freeze.
- Store about 300 ml per bag or as desired.