Prepare yourself by massaging your perineum at about 37 weeks. Highly recommended by midwives, perineal massage helps to stretch your perineum to prepare for childbirth. It may help to void an episiotomy or tears. This massage can be performed by yourself or by your partner.
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap before starting.
- Lubricate thumbs or index fingers with KY jelly.
- Insert finger from each hand just inside the vagina.
- Press downward towards the rectum and slide thumbs across the bottom, then up the sides of the perineum.
- Repeat massage daily for as long as you feel comfortable with.